"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Maybe I Should Be Amish

So, as the majority of you know, I have the absolute worst luck with technology. It is an ongoing joke that technology "self destructs" around me. It would be hilarious if it was not more than true. Yesterday, Logan and I drove to Birmingham to take my computer to the Apple Store. On the way, Logan made an ingenious suggestion concerning my inability to properly use and maintain electronic devices. He said, "You should be Amish, they don't use technology." For five seconds, I seriously considered the comment, then I realized exactly what being Amish entailed. I did a little research, because basically, I like being all knowing and learning about new things.

I would be willing to bet (something I could not do if I was Amish) that the people of the God-fearing Amish community would not approve of my choices of clothing. For example, the fact that almost every outfit I own shows a little cleavage or requires me to wear five inch heels, I do not think they would accept me. My wardrobe consists mostly of black attire, a color not usually worn by the women of the group.

If my choice of clothing did not pose a problem, I probably would be prompted to become a part of a group that does not believe in the use of technology. After three failed computer hard drives, two failed computer batteries, and one failed computer power board, I am questioning whether I should own a computer? Since I am going to law school, it's definitely a necessity. When I get my computer back, will it be reliable? How long until it messes up again?

My bad luck does not stop with computers, it includes cell phones, cameras, and Garmins... yes I said GARMIN! I usually go through at least three cell phones a year. In fact, I purchased my third one in the past twelve months- a Blackberry. This is the first time I have attempted to use a Blackberry, so I think we should start making bets on how long it will last.... yes, we can do that, after all, we are not Amish. Seeing as how I love my Blackberry, I fully understand why people frequently refer to it is a "Crackberry." I purchased a new camera a month ago, after the untimely death of my old one. Also, I am on my second Garmin in the past six months. Only my Garmin would just go kaput...thank goodness the nice people at Best Buy who replaced it for free!!!

My life would not be complete without my computer, Blackberry, camera, and Garmin; however, there are some days I wonder what life would be like never having had them. It's not a lifestyle I will ever have, I just do not think Amish country is ready for me!

2 comments:

  1. Amish is a community, not a country. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete