"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Letter to BP

British Petroleum
c/o Tony Hayward, CEO

Dearest BP,
I am writing to you as a concerned American citizen, specifically as a member of an elite class here in our country- GRITS. For you British that do not understand our acronym, GRITS stands for Girls Raised In the South. Now that you understand that I am a southern girl, you should realize the importance of the pristine, white Gulf Coast beaches in my life. I grew up spending many summer days playing in the beautiful sand in Destin and Panama City. Your company has now guaranteed that my children will not be offered the same pleasures.

When this mess began, your company's chief executive officer stated that the oil spill was not that big in comparison to the size of the Gulf of Mexico. I am just wondering, do you not have maps in Britain? The Gulf of Mexico is not as large as you might think, and oil spreads quickly. A large number of people along the Gulf Coast make their living through the seafood industry. As I am sure you know by now, all of these people are now out of business. Sir, your company is taking its time in processing claims, how do you propose these honest, hard-working Americans feed their families? Oh, that's right, you are only concerned about your life getting back to normal. You attended a yacht race last weekend with your family. I would love for you to bring that million dollar yacht to the Gulf of Mexico... oh yes, silly me, you can not take boats out in most parts of the Gulf now.

Five years ago, a fatal hurricane named Katrina hit Louisiana and devastated its population. Yes, here in the southeast, we have this feared season each year that lasts from June to November. Had British Petroleum done its research and used common sense, they would have known the Gulf of Mexico breeds hurricanes. The Gulf's warm water only strengthens an already powerful storm. In planning to repair the Deepwater Horizon oil rig and manage the disaster that has resulted from the oil spill, BP would have greatly benefited from acknowledging the time delays that would occur due to potential storms. Of course, this would have required a little research and responsibility on your part. If you or your company believed in responsibility, my country would not be facing the greatest environmental disaster in America's history.

If I had my choice sir, I would force you to walk the famous beaches loved by all Americans every day. You could join the clean up crews, consisting mostly of lifelong fisherman. You could pick up the bodies of dead animals, animals that suffocated due to the oil in the water. You could travel from town to town and talk with families who have had their entire livelihood taken away. I believe these are excellent ideas; however, I know it will never happen, that would cause too much of an inconvenience in your normal routine.

In closing, I would like to thank you for nothing. The oil rig exploded over two months ago and no definite solution has been set forth. While you enjoy your leisurely weekends with your family, one of our country's greatest ecosystems continues to be destroyed. I am thankful for my memories playing in the Gulf of Mexico, and I am extremely regretful that this opportunity will not exist for future generations. Although I am disappointed in and angry with you and your company, I will continue to purchase BP gas. I do not think that American business owners should suffer from your inability to properly function, and someone has to provide funds for you to compensate those "small people" in the Southeast. I hope you will read my letter and understand how much damage this oil spill has caused, and I hope you have nightmares about oil covered animals and hungry children.

Sincerely,
Jaclyn Williams
"A Small Person"

No comments:

Post a Comment