"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Friday, April 23, 2010

First Round in Review... The Good, The Bad, and The Puzzling

So, the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft has come and gone. I have great respect for all of the organizations within the NFL and all of the men who play the game of football. Having said that, I would like to give my review of today's draft. I am no expert, but I am also no idiot... and honestly, I don't know if I can say the same for some of those involved in today's draft. The following is my personal analysis of what occurred tonight.

1. Ndamukong Suh was my favorite player on the board. I am not at all disappointed or surprised that he was the second pick. The Lions knew what they were doing with this choice.

2. My review would not be complete without noting the dominance of the Southeastern Conference. As usual, they had a prominent showing in first round draft picks. The SEC was home to 7 (almost 1/4) of the first round picks.

3. I am proud to say that the SEC had seven picks, but Oklahoma had four players drafted in the first round. THREE IN THE TOP FOUR. That is unheard of. I love the SEC as much as any southern football lovin' girl, but even I have to give credit to the University of Oklahoma.

4. Speaking of the University of Oklahoma- Sam Bradford. Bradford is a Heisman trophy winner, in fact, only the second sophomore to win the award. That is an accomplishment. However, getting hurt more than once should cast a little doubt on your overall ability to play football at the professional level. St. Louis is unquestionably the worst team in the League, so I guess they thought... what the heck, we can't get any worse... let's just take the chance- pay millions and millions of dollars for a QB that may not last more than a few games. Bradford is talented, but the question remains- will his shoulder withstand the constant hits from big boys like Suh? Personally, I would not spend tens of millions of dollars with a question that large looming.

5. Tim Tebow is an amazing guy. He stands out among peers because of his willingness to stand up for his beliefs. There is no doubt that he is the real deal- a Christian with an amazing heart and servant's spirit. I admire Tebow for his work and actions; yet, I do not believe he should have been picked in the first round. Denver made trades for the #25 pick, and ultimately Tim Tebow. I do not understand this pick at all, when much better quarterbacks still available, but I guess Denver has a plan- lets face it, they need one.

6. This year's numbers are staggering. If you compare the number of players drafted from each position, you will find a strange phenomenon. In the first round, 2 quarterbacks were drafted- Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow. Two wide receivers were drafted- Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant. Three running backs were drafted- CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, and Jahvid Best. The first round proved that tackles are this year's hot commodity.

7. Lastly, the commentators continue to discuss how shocked they are that Jimmy Clausen is still on the board. Are they serious? Clausen is talented, but have you watched Notre Dame football over the past couple of years? I have seen the Fighting Irish play, and I understand why Jimmy Clausen does not have a contract in hand yet.

The top picks have been decided, but the next two days will tell a lot about the future for certain teams. And can I say, I am watching ESPN as I write this, I wish other players would receive half the recognition that Tim Tebow does. I know he is a great guy, but there are other story lines... please find something different to harp on media people!

No comments:

Post a Comment