"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Cougar Before It Was Cool


"Age ain't nothing but a number!" This has to be one of my favorite sayings. Today, it is more popular than ever. I thoroughly enjoy trying to understand the dynamics of different relationships. From the time I first discovered boys (ohhh about 7th grade), I never thought age really mattered. My friends frequently referred to me as a cradle robber. I would just like to point out that ABC now airs a show named Cougar Town. Documentaries have been made about the novel idea of older women dating younger men. I guess we live in a world that accepts an older man dating a much younger woman, but why is it so strange for an older woman to date a younger man.

My mom married a much older man- almost twenty-one years older to be exact. She now lives by the motto that "age ain't nothing but a number." It is not uncommon for people to think that Shelby and I are with our granddad when we are out to eat with Mr. Larry; after all, he is only six months younger than my grandma. But for anyone that knows Mr. Larry, you know he is young at heart. Surrounding himself by a bunch of young women (our house constantly has people coming and going), helps keep him young! I don't see anything wrong with my mom's relationship nor do most other people; yet, if the roles were reversed, how would people feel? If mom had married someone twenty-one years younger, what would people say? We all know that my mom would have been the talk of the town- her and her new "boy toy!"

Two of my friends have always gone for older men- Mimi and Ashley. It fascinates me that these two love older men, and I always just found the younger guys more fun. While Mimi would be off on fun dates to engagement parties and weddings, I would be sitting at high school baseball games and graduation. Now, I am not complaining by any means. I am a sort of bossy person, and I found that it was much easier to guide and direct younger guys. Since I started liking younger guys when I was in 7th grade (yes, Sterling Burns...maybe Sterling's baseball pants were the reason he was around for so long), I think I was a cougar before being a cougar was cool.

It tickles me to death to think that I have spent so many years going after younger guys. All of these guys have a very special place in my life, and I love their families to death. But now, I guess my cougar days are over. They sure were fun while they lasted, but as the old saying goes, "all good things must come to an end." In my current relationship, I have met my match. If I ever thought I was hard headed or stubborn, he can give me a run for my money. It is nice having someone on your level and having someone that can challenge your intellect. The scariest thing about this relationship- he is almost two years older than me! :)

Bye Bye little boys.... thanks for helping me be a cougar before it was cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment