"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Servant's Heart

Growing up in a church, I recall frequently hearing the phrase "a servant's heart."  Honestly, I never quite understood what the preacher meant when he put an emphasis on having a servant's heart.  In fact, it was not until I began reading Lady In Waiting that this whole notion came in perspective for me.


Philippians 2:3-5 says:
     "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus."


On the surface, having the heart of a servant seems to be a simple enough concept; however, after reading more into the subject, I realized it is much more complex than I initially thought.  Having a servant's heart encompasses more than doing work for others.  Having a servant's heart focuses not just on the actions you perform, but also on your attitude while performing them.


It was the last part of that which threw me for a loop.  I always thought that as long as I was doing actions as a service for others, I was doing good in the eyes of the Lord.  I love doing for others, but I quickly realized that my intentions were not always the best.  In too many situations, I had ulterior motives for my actions.


My underlying intentions often led to disappointment and heartache.  God intends for us to have a servant's  heart when giving to others so that we can avoid this type of disappointment and heartache.  A servant's heart means your intentions are completely pure.  You do not expect anything in return --> not even secretly, not even a little bit.


While reading Lady in Waiting, I realized what a big problem pure intentions were in general, but especially for women.  Women have the natural tendency to assume the role of caregiver.  I, personally, assume the role of caregiver easily and often.  Anyone that knows me would attest to this fact.  In the past, I have played the caregiver, or mother, role with the intentions of winning the attention and affections of a male.


Let's face it, ladies, guys usually do not look past the face value of an action!  While they may seem appreciative or thankful, their gratitude should not be mistaken for affection or a sign of their undying love.  A female allowing herself to misinterpret a man's gratitude can set her up for disaster.  In the same way, however, a man may misinterpret the friendship of a woman and this could ultimately lead to heartbreak for him.


Having pure intentions are part of having a servant's heart.  Having pure intentions safeguards your heart.  As one step in the right direction toward having a servant's heart, I have begun praying about my actions, even if it is an action as simple as sending a text message.  I just need assurance that both the recipient, and I understand the context of the situation and/ or of the communication.  I have seen that performing an action with a servant's heart makes you closer to the greatest prize of all- the heart of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment