"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Color Should Not Matter


Today, in the state of Alabama, it's election day. The race for the republican governor nomination dominates headlines; however, it is not the only race on today's ballot. Local elections, both with in the various counties and for state representatives, are also taking place today. In fact, since I am a card carrying member of the Democratic party, my primary focus has not centered on the governor's race. I voted absentee last week since I am "out of the area on election day."

An election that is making headlines across my district, and the state due to recent events, is the run-off for Senator for District 28. This run-off election is between Johnny Ford, mayor of Tuskegee, and Billy Beasley, current State Representative. In the initial election, Beasley received 49% of the vote, and Ford received 28% of the vote. Since neither candidate secured over 50% of the vote, the run-off election has ensued. I assure you, no one could have guessed the turn this election would take. In my opinion, the overall "theme" of this race was proven yesterday, with the arrival of Reverend Al Sharpton.

As the least racist person you can meet, I can write this blog without reservation. I do not agree with the message preached by Rev. Sharpton on his world-wind trip to Barbour and Bullock counties. He believes that Johnny Ford should be elected to the position because District 28 is a "majority-minority" area. We live in a society that consciously teaches our children that "all people are created equal" and "everyone should be treated the same." Is it politically or morally correct to advocate one candidate over another because of race? In my opinion, absolutely not.

We should elect our government leaders and representatives based on their ability to accurately represent their constituency. In no way, form, or fashion does the color of their skin impact their leadership skills, or at least it should not. As an avid voter, I connect the arrow next to candidate's name that most closely identifies with my values, regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic background. Our forefathers secured our right to vote, and our soldiers fight to maintain that privilege.

People probably went out to the polls today and voted for Mr. Ford simply based on the fact that he is African American. Sadly, other people probably went out to the polls and voted for Mr. Beasley simply because he is Caucasian. In this debate over race, I do not only find one party at fault. I believe voting for someone because of their race or voting against them does not do justice to our country's government.

Almost two years ago, we elected a (half) African American president. Critics spoke out following Obama's election, saying that he only won because of the color of his skin. These critics conveniently discounted another voter demographic- those people that normally would not have cast their ballot, but voted for McCain because they were opposed to a black man holding the highest position of power in our country. I do not agree with either side.

A person should carefully research the beliefs held by the candidates and use this to determine their overall opinion. It is fantastic that our country elected its first minority president; however, in a society where color did not matter, he would be just another president whose name is added to a long list of men, all of a different race, that came before him. I would like to think that we live in a color-blind world, but I know I am wrong. I live my life not judging people based on the color of their skin, but by their character instead. I wish people, of all races and ages, would adopt that outlook of the world- in interacting with people on a daily basis and in choosing what candidate to support in a political race.

No comments:

Post a Comment