"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Hero is a Marine


"Freedom is not free, but the Marine Corps will pay most of your share."
- Ned Dolan

     Growing up, I lived in a small town that lacked much military activity.  The closest base was 45 minutes away- a man or women in uniform was not commonplace.  On September 11, 2001, the entire dynamic of our nation was changed.  We were a nation that had not seen serious, prolonged combat action since Vietnam.  Yet, our generation would soon become witness to a new war- little did I know the impact that war would one day come to have on my life.
     When I began my collegiate career, I became more familiar with the military.  My roommate Heather's dad was then a member of the Army, and her brother had just been commissioned into the Navy.  I met military brats from all around the world.  I got to see ROTC cadets in uniforms weekly- I definitely did not complain about that!  But really, I grew a greater respect for the men and women that fight for our nation.
     For several months, my best friend Jamie tossed around the idea of joining the Marines.  On a brisk, fall day in November of 2008, Jamie informed me that he had made his decision.  Six months after graduating from high school, he had decided to enlist in the United States Marine Corps.  That same weekend, he got "WARRIOR" tattooed across his back- a symbol of his future career and his commitment to fight for the ones he loves.
     In January, Jamie officially enlisted, and he left for Parris Island, South Carolina, on Mother's Day.  After thirteen long weeks, lots of letters, and a few tears, I got to watch Jamie graduate from basic.  Seeing my best friend walk across the parade deck with his unit literally gave me chills.  He was not the shaggy-haired teenager he had been just a few months prior.  Jamie had transformed into a man, more than that, he had become a Marine.
     From the day he enlisted, we all knew he would someday deploy.  Well, that time has come.  This time two years ago, we were putting hundreds of miles on my new car- riding around Eufaula and talking.  Now, he is preparing to deploy to Afghanistan as part of ongoing Operation Enduring Freedom.
     I have a new-found respect for both military men and women.  They are no longer merely a person in a uniform.  I now see them as someone's husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, or best friend.  After all, it is my best friend that wears the uniform of a United States Marine.  Military families have to be the strongest group of people on this earth.  They too are part of the war.  Although they are not in the war zone, they are left at home to worry, pray, and support their loved one.
     The next eight months will not be easy.  Jamie is lucky.  He has more people than he knows who have already began praying for his safety.  His friends will be jealous of the amount of letters and care packages that he receives.  I will hang my yellow ribbon up, and it will not come down until my best friend's feet are on American soil again.  
     Today, say a little prayer for Jamie and all of those who are preparing to deploy with him and their families as well.  Pray for the men and women who are already in the Middle East.  Pray for the families of all of the military men and women that have paid the ultimate sacrifice in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.  I love my best friend, and I can't wait for him to be home again!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment